Friday, April 6, 2012

Remembering Coach Avezzano

Coach Joe Avezzano taking the time for a Little Fan at Dallas Cowboy Training Camp 2012



Last year on a whim I decided to take my son, Justin, to Dallas Cowboy training camp in San Antonio, Texas. On a Saturday morning, we dressed in our Cowboys gear and with only my purse and a full tank of gas we headed out to the Alamo City to see America's Team. It was that spur-of-the-moment.

On the way, I had told my son not to expect too much from training camp. Since I had been to training camps before in Wichita Falls, I knew more than likely we would only see the players from far off and see more practice than scrimmage play. I also told him that things would be over-priced so not to ask me to buy anything. I did not know that my whimsical road trip would turn out to be one of the greatest days of 2011, if not our lives. Coach Joe helped contribute to that in a big way.

Since we arrived at training camp earlier than practice began, I decided to take Justin to Coach Joe's Chalk Talk. It was an opportunity to have a buffet lunch with the coach and hear him speak about being a part of the NFL and the Cowboys organization. It was also an opportunity to get out of the sun and win some VIP tickets close to the field where players were known to generously give autographs.  While we sat waiting for Coach Joe, I looked around the room and saw a variety of fans munching on burgers, holding onto memorabilia, and scanning the room for a glimpse of the stray superstar athlete who might come along with the elite coach. In the end, it was only a small group of assistants who set up a video camera and helped prep the coach onto the stage in order to introduce him to present his Chalk Talk. The crowd graciously clapped to hear the coach speak. We clapped not knowing just how great of a speaker we were about to hear.

Coach Joe Avezzano looked gruffy. If you did not know him, you probably thought he would be a crotchety old fart, but he was totally opposite of that. He was very loud, funny, and down-to-earth. As soon as he began to talk, you knew that he knew how to get a crowds' attention and keep it. I guess you don't win Super Bowl Rings and Special Teams Coach of the year three times each by not holding onto a crowds' attention. He shared with us a variety of anecdotes and kept us laughing and entertained throughout his entire speech. My son never fidgeted in his seat once. Now that is the sign of a good speaker.

While I may not remember everything the Coach said, I do remember how he left us feeling; uplifted, happy, joyous, and apart of the Cowboys tradition.  I also remember how he made the time to make it a special occasion for my son, Justin, who would go on to win Cowboys VIP tickets to the sideline of the field. After he signed Justin’s Dallas Cowboys book, he took him aside and told him where the best place would be on the sidelines to get autographs from the players.  While Justin proudly remembers this, he  is prouder of the moment during the Chalk Talk when he asked Coach Joe his favorite question during the Q&A session of the speech ( I will confess here that I fed him the question). After being asked a series of Cowboys prospects, new league rules, and draft questions by several of the male fans in the audience, Justin asked him one question that played to the heart and passion of the eccentric coach; who is your favorite special teams player of all time? Coach Joe enthusiastically answered Bill Bates. The answer lasted for ten minutes or so and his enthusiasm upon answering it never waned. In the end, he thanked my son for asking him that question.  It was a really nice moment.

While reading about Coach Joe’s passing, I came across this Dallas Cowboys report in which Coach Joe’ s favorite player, Bill Bates,  said this about his former coach and lifelong friend and mentor:

“Joe had that ability to have everyone’s attention,” Bates said. “Not only have their attention, but they wanted to play for him, wanted to succeed for him, wanted to give their best for the coach. 

In that sentiment it is obvious how strong communication skills can build and promote success AND successful relationships. Coach Joe had mastered both.

God speed, Coach Joe. It was an honor having you walk among us.

Coach Joe Avezzano
Nov. 17, 1943- April 5, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment